Opera Idaho (OI) is a level 3 (Opera America budget $1,000,000 – $3,000,000) opera company and the only professional opera company of its kind in Idaho. Opera Idaho is one of the fastest-growing opera companies in the U.S., having tripled its budget in the last 13 years. Opera Idaho is located in Boise, OI, noted by some as the fastest-growing city in the U.S.
Opera Idaho celebrates its 49th consecutive season in 2021/22 with a mainstage season of four operas plus two non-subscription productions and a free outdoor Opera in the Park concert. In 2009 OI moved into its new performance home, the restored Egyptian Theatre, long popular in the community for its unique architecture, location, and selection to the National Register of Historic Places; OI also performs at The Morrison Center on the campus of Boise State University. The principal place of business for OI is its facility in downtown Boise as part of the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy, which also has facilities for Ballet Idaho and the Boise Philharmonic. The facility houses the company’s offices, rehearsal studio and meeting rooms.
Duration: Part-time, permanent
OI seeks a Production Manager. This position reports to the General Director and is responsible under the guidance of the General Director for planning, implementing and administering non-musical production aspects for all OI programs. The Manager is responsible for creating and implementing a production plan and budget under the guidance of the General Director and in accordance with the approved budget. The Manager will be involved in all mainstage and à la carte productions and other productions and events on an as-needed basis.
Other duties include:
- Researching and securing any scenery rentals or oversight of design and construction of scenery for each production
- Oversight of costume design and construction or securing rentals for each production
- Recruitment and hiring of all necessary personnel for the technical areas of scenery, lighting, sound, costuming, props, hair & makeup, and stage management for each production
- Recruitment and hiring of all designers in the areas of scenery, lighting, costuming, and hair & makeup for each production
- Coordination with venues for each production or activity
- Maintenance of inventory and storage of scenery units, costumes, props and equipment belonging to Opera Idaho
- Coordination of company management duties for each production’s Stage Manager
- Oversight of Stage Managers for each production
- Coordination with General Director in regards to production values, production feasibility and budgetary feasibility of proposed productions for upcoming seasons
- Maintenance of production calendars and schedules, in coordination with Administrative Coordinator
Candidates must be self-motivated and have strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational ability, superior communication skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office, creative strategic planning skills and a minimum of three years of related experience with demonstrable results in similar organizations. An interest in or knowledge of opera and classical music are required.
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
Opera Idaho, 515 S 9th St, Boise, ID 83702 ● firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Opera Idaho is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law.