Opera Idaho (OI) is a level 3 (budget $1,000,000 – $3,000,000) opera company and the only professional opera company of its kind in Idaho. Located in Boise, OI celebrates its 48th consecutive season in 2020/21 with a mainstage season of four operas plus two à la carte productions. In 2009 OI moved into its new performance home, the restored Egyptian Theatre, long popular in the community for its unique architecture, location and selection to the National Register of Historic Places; OI also performs at The Morrison Center on the campus of Boise State University. The principal place of business for OI is its facility in downtown Boise as part of the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy, which also has facilities for Ballet Idaho and the Boise Philharmonic. The facility houses the company’s offices, rehearsal studio and meeting rooms.
Duration: Part-time, permanent
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
This position reports to the General Director and is responsible under the guidance of the General Director for planning, implementing and administering non-musical production aspects activities for all OI programs. The Manager will work with the General Director to plan, implement and administer production efforts of OI. The Manager is responsible for creating and implementing a production plan and budget under the guidance of the General Director and in accordance with the approved budget. The Manager will be involved in all mainstage and à la carte productions and other productions and events on an as-needed basis.
Other duties include:
- Researching and securing any scenery rentals or oversight of design and construction of scenery for each production
- Oversight of costume design and construction or securing rentals for each production
- Recruitment and hiring of all necessary personnel for the technical areas of scenery, lighting, sound, costuming, props, hair & makeup, and stage management for each production
- Recruitment and hiring of all designers in the areas of scenery, lighting, costuming, and hair & makeup for each production
- Coordination with venues for each production or activity
- Maintenance of inventory and storage of scenery units, costumes, props and equipment belonging to Opera Idaho
- Coordination of company management duties for each production’s Stage Manager
- Oversight Stage Managers for each production
- Coordination with General Director in regards to production values, production feasibility and budgetary feasibility of proposed productions for upcoming seasons
- Maintenance of production calendars and schedules, in coordination with Administrative Assistant
Candidates must be self-motivated and have strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational ability, superior communication skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office, creative strategic planning skills and a minimum of three years of related experience with demonstrable results in similar organizations. An interest in or knowledge of opera and classical music are required.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
- Opera Idaho
513 S 8th St
Boise, ID 83702
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.