In the 2017-2018 season, Opera Idaho established its Young Artists program. Renamed to Emerging Artists in 2020. The Emerging Artists program is designed to provide training and performance experience for talented singers at the beginning of their professional careers. From September 2021 through April 2022, these artists will be placed in a nurturing environment, treated as professionals and provided with compensation and a comfortable place to live.
During the 2021-2022 season the new class of Emerging Artists will tour the Treasure Valley and surrounding areas with our school outreach program, introducing students in grades K through 12 to opera. They will also be filling smaller roles in our mainstage operas as well as serve as understudies for the lead roles, as well as participate in smaller performances throughout the season.
Applications now being accepted for the 2021-2022 season.
Please see below for information regarding Opera Idaho’s Emerging Artist Program for the 2021-2022 season. You can also see this information on our posting at www.yaptracker.com
Applications must be received By Sun Feb 28, 2021
Resume or CV
Video samples (minimum two, recorded within the last year) – Please note: Audio samples will not be accepted nor considered.
Recording requirements (please read carefully):
- Video only
- Videos should have been recorded within the last year
- Recordings of a performance, recital or concert are acceptable
- Selections must be sung from memory
- Each piece must be submitted as a separate video. It is preferred that videos be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo.
- If using a piano track, headphones are acceptable in the video.
- Editing: We realize that some editing may be needed to sync audio & video tracks. This is acceptable but no more than this please.
Applicant must submit video samples (minimum two, recorded within the last year) – Please see above notes regarding video submissions. Please note: Audio samples will not be accepted nor considered.
No live auditions will be held. Submission details must include a minimum of two video samples.
The 2021-2022 season for Opera Idaho has not yet been officially announced. We are assuming that we will be able to operate our next season as normal and are remaining flexible in our upcoming plans. Operas to be produced will be selected from productions that were postponed in the last year. These include, but are not limited to: Lehar’s The Merry Widow, Verdi’s Macbeth, Perla’s An American Dream, Bizet’s Carmen and Heggie’s Dead Man Walking.
September 06, 2021 – April 30, 2022
Opera Idaho is pleased to call for applicants for its Emerging Artist Program for the 2021-2022 season. Opera Idaho is looking for four vocalists, all voice types are encouraged to apply. The dates of the program are expected to be September 6, 2021 through April 30, 2022, with a release during December for the holidays. These dates are subject to change based on the season calendar. Please understand that with the ongoing pandemic, we are very conscious of singer safety. Offers will be contingent on current pandemic case load along with following state and federal guidelines.
Participants will: Cover main stage roles as needed, fulfill comprimario roles as needed, and participate in choruses. Perform in our Education Engagement Program, and other performances as agreed upon (i.e. Operatini, Auction of Arias, and other special performances).
Payment is provided
Housing is provided. Please note that housing may be in a host home. Safety protocols will be followed for both singer and host. These protocols do include inoculation against COVID-19 and will be required for both singer and host. This may also include a period of quarantine as recommended by state and federal health agencies.
Discretionary transportation funds available.
Health and Dental insurance after 60 days.
Weekly coaching sessions with teaching artists.
Please direct all inquiries to:
Nik Dumas, Artistic Administrator.
Email: email@example.com or Phone: 208.345.3531 Ext. 5.
Sponsor an Emerging Artist
Sponsor one of the 2021-2022 Opera Idaho Young Artists: $5,000
- Sponsor’s name tied to the Emerging Artist of your choice in printed & web marketing materials throughout the 2020/2019 Season
- Recognition of sponsorship on the supertitle screen prior to performances
- Verbal recognition of sponsorship at any Emerging Artist specific programs including the fall recital in Boise and McCall, Operatinis and the free education outreach performances
- A 30-minute performance by your sponsored Emerging Artist in your home or at an event of your choosing
- Invitation to a Emerging Artist meet & greet event exclusive for sponsors which includes wine, appetizers and a chance to attend a rehearsal
Your sponsorship helps Opera Idaho provide the following benefits for the four Emerging Artists while in the program:
- Financial compensation
- Housing and transportation assistance
- Health insurance
- Coaching sessions with professional vocal coaches
- Performance opportunities to help build their résumé
2020-2021 Emerging Artists
This pandemic has affected our ability to have an Emerging Artists program. The artists who were slated to be here for that program have opted not to travel to Idaho at this time. They would have performed in comprimario roles, and in our education engagement programs.