Children’s Choruses

Opera Idaho’s children’s programs are designed to encourage acceptance, appreciation and enjoyment of opera in young people. Opera Idaho hopes to enable students to experience a live opera performance first hand with professional singers, and acquaint students with opera terminology, history and the lives of great opera composers. Opera Idaho’s programs also introduce students to the significance of theater, set and costume design in opera.

The Opera Idaho Children’s Choruses program provides learning and performing experiences in classic repertoire, and encourages healthy vocal technique for children through membership in a vocal ensemble. Musical education objectives are accomplished through weekly rehearsal sessions and performances through the year. Performances range from choral concerts to appearing in Opera Idaho and Ballet Idaho productions and other venues throughout the Treasure Valley.

The program includes two vocal groups:

• Angelus Chorus – 2nd to 5th grades*
  • Excelsior Chorus – 6th to 12th grades*

* If interested singers fall outside of these age ranges or would like to sing in a choir other than their grade assigns, please talk to the director so we can find the best place for them.

• Boise
    Opera Idaho Studio
    513 South 8th Street, Boise
    Rehearsals on Wednesdays:

• Angelus: 4:30pm to 5:15pm
    • Excelsior: 5:30pm to 6:45pm

Both vocal groups are available at both locations, and will sing together as a unified group for all concerts and events. The program is tuition-based; scholarships are available in limited number for those showing financial need.

Tuition

Angelus Chorus
Annual Tuition*: $225
Excelsior Chorus
Annual Tuition*: $275

*Financial assistance available. There is a $15.00 discount if the full year’s tuition is paid by 9/30/18. If you have more than one child enrolled in the Children’s Chorus programs, there is a $15 discount per additional child.

Click here for audition information

Director of Children’s Choruses

Brenda Winkle began directing choirs in 1996 and became the Opera Idaho Children’s Choruses Director in October 2017. She has directed choirs of all ages from students as young as 3 to adult choirs. Brenda earned Bachelor of Science in K-12 Music Education from Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska and a Masters of Education in Educational Leadership from Boise State University.

Brenda moved to Boise in 2004 and began teaching in the Boise School District in 2007. Since being in Boise she has directed the All City Honor Choir and choirs at the elementary, junior high and high school levels. Brenda is currently the elementary music specialist and choir director SE Boise.

Under her direction, singers in OICC have performed as soloists for Boise Philharmonic,  Knock ‘em Dead Dinner Theatre and more. The premier children’s choruses of the Treasure Valley; Opera Idaho Children’s Choruses have successfully performed in collaborative endeavors with Boise Philharmonic, Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale, Treasure Valley Concert Band, and Ballet Idaho.

When not directing choirs, Brenda enjoys spending time with her teenage daughter and their two dogs, practicing yoga, hiking or traveling.

brenda@operaidaho.org

Children’s Choruses Founder

Linda Eustice Berg was founding director of Opera Idaho’s Children’s Choruses and directed the group from 1993 to 2004. From 2004 to 2009 she directed the Capital City Children’s Chorus program, which merged with the Opera Idaho program in August 2009. Linda passed away in October 2015.